Ahh Shucks, Rodney’s Hosts Annual Ontario Oyster FestivalJuly 13, 2012 No Comments
It’s time for the annual Ontario Oyster Festival hosted by Rodney’s Oyster House in Toronto on Sunday, July 15, 2012. This popular summer foodie event, now marking its 24th year, starts at 2 p.m. and runs until 10 p.m. and draws oyster lovers from all over Toronto. For $35, you’ll receive two drink tickets and half a dozen oysters or chicken or fish tacos if you are not fond of the briny, chewy delicacies. While you’re getting your fill of shellfish, you can listen to live bands The Waxbills and Horshack, or play some ping pong hosted by Spin Toronto.
Demonstrate your shucking skills by participating in the 2012 Ontario Oyster Opening Championships. The winner of the competition will receive a trip to Prince Edward Island, home of the world-famous Malpeque Oysters, in August.
Purchase tickets for Ontario Oyster Festival by calling Rodney’s at 416-363-8105 x 0. Net proceeds will be donated to Environmental Defence, a non profit organization that challenges and inspires change in government, business and people to ensure a greener, healthier and prosperous life for all. To date, Rodney’s Oyster House has donated approximately $100,000 to Environmental Defence.
Rodney’s Oyster House, 469 King Street West (west of Spadina Avenue)
How to Shuck an Oyster
1. Put on a pair of heavy gloves or wrap the hand which will be holding the oyster in a heavy towel.
2. Hold the oyster curved side down with one hand, perpendicular to the oyster knife.
3. Insert the blade of a knife through the hinge between the two valves, angling the knife down. Be careful not to use too much force.
4. Rotate the blade until you hear the hinge pop.
5. Slide the blade upwards to cut the adductor muscle, which holds the two shell sides together.
6. Slide your knife under the oyster and cut through the muscles holding it to the shell.
7. Serve on ice and enjoy!
Tags: Ontario Oyster Festival, Rodney's Oyster FestivalEvents, Summer Events