Get ready for fire-breathing, sword swallowing street performers and body contortionists extraordinaire at the 13th annual Scotiabank BuskerFest, set to take place Thursday, August 23 to Sunday, August 26, 2012 in Toronto’s St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood. International street performers will take over Front Street from Yonge Street to Jarvis Street, as well as adjacent side streets, to entertain an anticipated one million attendees during the four-day festival.
Scotiabank BuskerFest has expanded over the years to include a wider array of street performers who come from all around the globe to demonstrate flaming-rope jumping, cyr wheel spinning, whip-cracking, pillow juggling and pogo-sticking.
The Scotiabank BuskerPlay will offer children’s activities such as balloon-twisting, face painting and workshops.
Proceeds of Scotiabank BuskerFest will go to support Epilepsy Toronto, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping people with epilepsy and their families live well by providing counseling, advocacy, education and employment support.
New acts at the BuskerFest for 2012 include:
- Australia’s Mario, Queen of the Circus, who demonstrates his juggling tricks to the anthems of rock group, Queen
- Chicago Ultimate Tumblers who recently appeared on America’s Got Talent
- Cirque Mechanics, a Las Vegas circus company whose act includes an 18′ high Gantry bike
Returning acts to Scotiabank BuskerFest include:
- Pancho Libre from Mexico mixing martial arts and fire
- Toronto’s Fireguy
- Alakazam, body contortionist from Australia who showcases his cyr wheel and Chinese pole circus skills
- Dream State Circus, featuring acrobats and jugglers
- Silver Elvis
Scotiabank BuskerFest hours are Thursday, August 23 from noon to 10 p.m., Friday, August 24 from noon to 11 p.m., Saturday, August 25 from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Sunday, August 26, 2012 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Admission is by voluntary donation to Epilepsy Toronto.