The CNE opens today, Friday, August 17, 2012, in Toronto and for many of us, this signals the end of summer. Fortunately, there’s a lot going on at ‘The Ex’ this season so hopefully, you can make the most of these last few weeks of August by checking out the new attractions and exhibitions at the CNE.
Special Exhibits at CNE 2012
The CNE will be showcasing the following significant events in 2012:
- Battleground CNE highlights the military history of the CNE grounds at the Remember When Pavillion at the Direct Energy Centre. Currently, there are two existing forts on the grounds including the Stanley Barrack and Fort Rouille.
- Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee Exhibit at Booth 719 at the Arts, Crafts and Hobbies Pavillion will showcase photos, artifacts and a replica of the Coronation Chair. In addition, historian Richard Feltoe will discuss the role of the CNE grounds on Wed., Aug. 22 and Wed., Aug. 29 at 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the Presentation Centre outside of Hall B at the Direct Energy Centre.
- Rock ‘n Roll Will Never Die! – This exhibit showcases 50 years of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and the Beach Boys with photos, video, personal items and other memorabilia. Located at Booth 2613, Hall A, Direct Energy Centre.
Olympic Skaters at Ricoh Coliseum
Gold Olympic medalists Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir will perform ice skating and aerial acrobatics at the Ricoh Coliseum from Aug. 17 to Aug. 31, 2012 at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. Two-time Silver Olympic medalist Elvis Stojko will perform Sept. 1 to 3, 2012 at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
New rides for this year include the CNE Sky Ride that travels 40 feet above ground towards BMO Field or the Princes’ Gate, Zipline and Nitro, where you can race Italian cars on a 300-metre track.
Kids’ Shows at the CNE
Shows featuring Teletoon characters include:
- Barney appearing Fri., Aug. 17 to Tues., Aug. 21 at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Thomas the Train appears Mon., Aug. 27 to Thurs., Aug. 30
- Bob the Builder appears Wed., Aug. 22 to Sun. Aug. 26
Concerts at the CNE 2012
A popular attraction that is included with your general admission are free concerts at the CNE Bandshell. This year, the following artists will perform at the Bandshell among others:
- Big Sugar – Sat., Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.
- Nick Carter – Sun., Aug. 19, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- The Spinners (who were rained out last year) – Thurs., Aug. 23, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- Don McLean – Fri., Aug. 24, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- 3OH!3 with The New Cities – Tues., Aug. 28, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- The Arkells with the Darcys – Wed., Aug. 29, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
And of course, the much-loved Snowbirds and other aerobatic performers will return for the CNE Air Show on Sat., Sept. 1, 2012, Sun., Sept. 2, 2012 and Mon., Sept. 3, 2012 at 1 p.m. at the waterfront just below Bandshell Park.
The last day of the CNE is Mon., Sept. 3, 2012 (Labour Day). While opening day admission is $8 at the gate, regular admission is Adults $16, Seniors (60+) $12, Children (13 and under) $12 and a Family Pass $48, which is good for two adults and two children or one adult and three children. An All-Day Ride Pass is $36 in addition to the general admission. You can get into the CNE for $5 after 5 p.m. every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (except Labour Day Monday).