By Amy Sanderson
Torontonicity was invited to the grand opening of the Posh Supperclub in Toronto on June 8, 2016. We were greeted warmly at this new Yorkville restaurant despite the cold weather.
It was the first night for staff and media, and everyone was polished and attentive to patrons. One was first drawn to the inviting patio to the right of the entrance. This will be a big draw when weather begins to be more summery.
Comfortable cushioned rattan seats look inviting. I haven’t been to Montreal for a while, but the hosts insisted they wanted to model it after the Montreal supper club.
Bar staff are hand-picked from Mana on College Street – a Brazilian restaurant, which is now closed.
The menu has something for everyone with a slightly Italian feel. The restaurant caters to the 35-45 year old crowd – or – as sometimes referred to in Toronto dining and entertainment, the lost demographic.
- Pasta station featuring fresh shitake mushrooms with orecchiette pasta, cream, truffle oil, Parmesan and thyme – positively delicious!!
- Fried pork bellies in a delicious sauce – This tied for my favourite with the pasta.
- Salmon in a cucumber – very fresh.
- Chicken with a sprig of lettuce in a hollandaise sauce – tasty!
- Fried scallop on a crispy tortilla cracker with spicy shredded mango – My guest liked this one the best. Beware this is quite hot; some like it that way.
- Seafood roll with caviar – I tried to eat this in two bites and it fell apart. It had a distinctly Maritime taste.
- Lamb kebabs – It would have been good with a sauce to accompany it.
- Menu features a variety of wines leaning slightly toward Italian.
- I tried a virgin fruit creation with a spritz of club soda.
The ground floor seats about 80, including the patio. Downstairs is a club where diners can go dancing after dinner. Thursday is Student night. Friday is Ladies Night Out. Saturday night is for Latin dancing.
A convenient cell phone charging station is located to the left of the bar.
Reservations are recommended and Green P parking is located next door. I was lucky enough to get paid parking spot right outside on the street.
Looking forward to whiling away some hot summer evenings on this patio with a glass of Prosecco!
Posh Supperclub, 50 Cumberland Street, Toronto, Tel. 416-546-0456