It’s hard to believe that Canada Day Weekend is upon us all ready. If you’re not slipping off to your Muskoka or Haliburton cottage and are looking for free things to do in Toronto this weekend, we’ve rounded up a list of the best events taking place:
Free Concerts at Toronto Jazz Festival
Although the Toronto Jazz Festival wraps up this weekend, there are many free jazz concerts during the festival’s closing day, Saturday, June 29, 2013:
- Escola de samba performs at Nathan Phillips Square at the WIFI Patio at 3 p.m. on Saturday, June 29. The band performs Brazilian influenced jazz.
- Chihiro Yamazaki and the Route 14 Band, a Japanese instrumental jazz group, performs at the Pure Spirits Patio at the Distillery District, 55 Mill Street at 12 noon on Saturday, June 29.
- Aline Morales performs on the Trinity Stage at the Distillery District, 55 Mill Street at 2 p.m. on Saturday, June 29.
- The Mike Francis Trio performs Latin-styled jazz at the Pure Spirits Patio at the Distillery District, 55 Mill Street at 3 p.m. on Saturday, June 29. The band will perform Salsa, Cha Cha, Bumbia, Bolero, Samba, Tango, Bossa Nova and Meringue.
- The Jessica Stewart Few performs at the Pure Spirits Patio at the Distillery District at 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 29.
Elliott Brood performs at the WestJet Stage on Saturday, June 29 at 9:30 p.m. The rock folk band, who won a Juno Award for their album, Days Into Years, combines electric guitar, bass, mandolin, banjo, percussion and harmonica to produce a foot stomping sound.
Catch free fireworks at Harbourfront’s new Canada Square, 235 Queens Quay West, on Sunday, June 30, 2013 from 10:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
While Toronto Ribfest isn’t technically free anymore since they have just imposed a requested admission of $2 per person this year, the event is still very inexpensive considering all of the family-friendly activities going on at Ribfest during the Canada Day weekend, June 28 to July 1, 2013. You’ll find a Kids Zone with magicians and face painting, a midway, performances by Toronto’s Calendar Fire Fighters, The Scottish Regiment Band, Climax Jazz Band, Paul James, Mason Dixon, Jay Douglas and Sonic Boom KISS Tribute. And of course ribs. Fireworks will take place on Canada Day at 10 p.m. Centennial Park is located at 256 Centennial Park Road (near Renforth Drive and Rathburn Road). Ribfest hours are 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. during each day of the Canada Day weekend. Parking is free.
Fireworks at Ashbridge’s Bay
Enjoy free fireworks at Ashbridge’s Bay on Monday, July 1, 2013 at 9:30 p.m.