Summer is almost here and that means family picnics, barbecues with friends and enjoying dinner on the backyard patio. Nothing goes better with barbecue and summer suppers than summer salads. This is the first salad of our Summer Salad Recipe series: Artichoke, Chickpea and Sundried Tomato Salad.
Artichoke hearts, the main ingredient in this summer salad, packs a powerful nutritional punch. Artichoke is high in potassium, thiamin, niacin, magnesium, manganese and Vitamin C. It’s also high in fiber and low in saturated fat.
Artichoke, Chickpea and Sundried Tomato Salad
- 3 whole marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas
- 10 sun dried tomatoes (dried, not packed in oil)
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Chop artichoke hearts into bite-sized pieces, then add to salad bowl.
2. Rinse chickpeas in strainer, then add to salad bowl.
3. Soak sundried tomatoes in warm water for 3 minutes. Pat dry and chop sundried tomatoes, then add to salad bowl.
4. Add fresh mint to salad bowl.
5. Whisk Extra Virgin Olive Oil with juice of 1 lemon and add to salad bowl.
6. Add salt and pepper to salad bowl and mix all ingredients well. Serve immediately.