We’ve already had several days below 0°C (32°F) in Toronto so this chilly weather has made me feel like making a hearty soup to beat the cold. I love making soups in my Crock Pot because the fragrant aroma of apples, onion, garlic, and spices lingers in the house all day, tantalizing the taste buds! I also prefer using a slow cooking method when preparing soups since the flavours really get a chance to blend. I have always enjoyed French Onion Soup, especially eating the melted cheese on top with the caramelized onions so I decided to incorporate the melted cheese into one of my favourite soup recipes: Butternut Squash Soup. My version ended up as Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Swiss Cheese.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Swiss Cheese is a bit sweet due to the apple, but I find the addition of swiss cheese greatly complements the apple since the cheese is nutty and savoury. If you’ve ever had apple pie topped with a piece of cheddar cheese, you’ll know what I’m talking about.
For my American readers, I think this soup would be a delicious appetizer for your Thanksgiving meal. I would also enjoy having this soup on Christmas Eve or even for Christmas dinner.
Lately, whenever I cook with Butternut Squash, I have bought the frozen chopped Butternut Squash that is available in the freezer section of your grocery store. I find this is such a time saver and the squash tastes just the same as fresh. Just make sure you drain it completely after it has thawed so that it doesn’t add excess moisture to your recipe.
One final note: I absolutely love my Braun immersion blender! I use it in this recipe to puree the soup once it’s ready. You put the blender right into the Crock Pot! It saves me from having to puree the soup in my blender in small batches, which is a tedious job.
Let me know in the comment section if you make Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Swiss Cheese and what you think of it.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Swiss Cheese RECIPE
- 750 g Butternut squash I used frozen chopped Butternut Squash that is sold in the freezer section and thawed it overnight.
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 900 ml carton chicken broth I used no salt added chicken broth.
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- In a saucepan, saute chopped onion in 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium heat for about 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic to saucepan and saute for 1 minute. Add basil, sage and black pepper to saucepan and stir to combine.
- Add onion-garlic mixture to your Crock Pot or slow cooker.
- Add chicken stock, chopped apples and chopped butternut squash to Crock Pot and set timer to high for four hours.
- When soup is ready, unplug Crock Pot as a safety precaution. Using an immersion blender, immerse blender in Crock Pot and pulse for several minutes until soup is pureed. Alternatively, remove soup from Crock Pot and blend in small batches in your blender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with sliced swiss cheese. Place under oven broiler for 2 minutes or in microwave for about 45 seconds to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.